In the post-genomics era, there is undoubtedly a plethora of accumulated genomic, genetic and proteomic data. However, there is a growing gap between the biological molecules (DNA, RNA and proteins) with experimentally determined function/structure and the ones that have not been assigned to any functional/structural annotation. To handle this overwhelming amount of information, we apply bioinformatics and systems biology methods for processing, analyzing, and interpreting biological data in a meaningful way.
My main research interests include:
- Application of bioinformatics methods for the analysis and meta-analysis of cancer genetics and genomics data.
- Phylogenetics & Comparative genomics.
- Analysis of biological sequences
- Biological networks.
- Development of bioinformatics pipelines for the analysis of biological data.
Pavlopoulou lab is currently seeking highly motivated graduate students interested in biostatistics. If interested, please contact email@example.com
Full list and citations can be found at Pubmed and Google Scholar: “Athanasia Pavlopoulou”
• Nikitaki Z, Holá M, Donà M, Pavlopoulou A, Michalopoulos I, Angelis KJ, Georgakilas AG, Macovei A, Balestrazzi A (2018) Integrating plant and animal biology for the search of novel DNA damage biomarkers. Mutation Research/Reviews in Mutation Research, 775: 21-38
• Pavlopoulou A* (2018) RecA: a universal drug target in pathogenic bacteria. Frontiers in Bioscience, 23: 36-42
• Geronikolou SA, Pavlopoulou A, Kanaka-Gantenbein C, Chrousos G (2018) Inter-species functional interactome of nuclear steroid receptors (R1). Frontiers in Bioscience, 10: 208-228
• Geronikolou SA, Pavlopoulou A, Cokkinos D, Chrousos G (2017) Interactome of Obesity: Obesidome. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, 987: 233-241
• Pavlopoulou A*, Bagos PG, Koutsandrea V, Georgakilas AG (2017) Molecular determinants of radiosensitivity in normal and tumor tissue: A bioinformatic approach. Cancer Letters, 403: 37-47
• Nikitaki Z, Pavlopoulou A, Holá M, Donà M, Michalopoulos I, Balestrazzi A, Angelis KJ, Georgakilas AG (2017) Bridging Plant and Human Radiation Response and DNA Repair through an In Silico Approach. Cancers, 9: 6
• Dimitriou NM, Tsekenis G, Balanikas EC, Pavlopoulou A, Mitsiogianni M, Mantso T, Pashos G, Boudouvis AG, Lykakis IN, Tsigaridas G, Panayiotidis MI, Yannopapas V, Georgakilas AG (2017) Gold nanoparticles, radiations and the immune system: Current insights into the physical mechanisms and the biological interactions of this new alliance towards cancer therapy. Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 178: 1-17
• Galtsidis S, Logotheti S, Pavlopoulou A, Zampetidis CP, Papachristopoulou G, Scorilas A, Vojtesek B, Gorgoulis V, Zoumpourlis V (2017) Unravelling a p73-regulated network: The role of a novel p73-dependent target, MIR3158, in cancer cell migration and invasiveness. Cancer Letters, 388: 96-106
• Kontou PI#, Pavlopoulou A#, Dimou NL, Pavlopoulos GA, Bagos PG (2016) Data and programs in support of network analysis of genes and their association with diseases. Data in Brief, 8: 1036-1039
• Kontou PI#, Pavlopoulou A#, Dimou NL, Pavlopoulos GA, Bagos PG (2016) Network analysis of genes and their association with diseases. Gene, 590: 68-78
• Pavlopoulou A*, Oktay Y, Vougas K, Louka M, Vorgias CE, Georgakilas AG (2016) Determinants of resistance to chemotherapy and ionizing radiation in breast cancer stem cells. Cancer Letters, 380: 485-493
• Pavlopoulou A, Savva GD, Louka M, Bagos PG, Vorgias CE, Michalopoulos I, Georgakilas AG (2016) Unraveling the mechanisms of extreme radioresistance in prokaryotes: Lessons from nature. Mutation Research/Reviews in Mutation Research, 767: 92-107
• Skourti E, Logotheti S, Kontos CK, Pavlopoulou A, Dimoragka PT, Trougakos IP, Gorgoulis V, Scorilas A, Michalopoulos I, Zoumpourlis V. (2016) Progression of mouse skin carcinogenesis is associated with the orchestrated deregulation of mir-200 family members, mir-205 and their common targets. Molecular Carcinogenesis, 55: 1229-1242
• Pavlopoulou A, Scorilas A (2014) A comprehensive phylogenetic and structural analysis of the carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) gene family. Genome Biology and Evolution 6: 1314–1326
• Vlachakis D, Pavlopoulou A, Roubelakis MG, Feidakis C, Anagnou NP, Kossida S (2014) 3D molecular modeling and evolutionary study of the Trypanosoma brucei DNA Topoisomerase IB, as a new emerging pharmacological target. Genomics, 103: 107-113
• Georgakilas AG#, Pavlopoulou A#, Louka M, Nikitaki Z, Vorgias CE, Bagos PG, Michalopoulos I (2015) Emerging molecular networks common in ionizing radiation, immune and inflammatory responses by employing bioinformatics approaches. Cancer Letters, 368: 164-172
• Pavlopoulou A, Spandidos DA, Michalopoulos I (2015) Human cancer databases (review). Oncology Reports, 33: 3-18
• Pavlopoulou A, Vlachakis D, Balatsos NA, Kossida S (2013) A comprehensive phylogenetic analysis of deadenylases. Evolutionary Bioinformatics Online, 9: 491-497
• Logotheti S, Pavlopoulou A, Galtsidis S, Vojtesek B, Zoumpourlis V (2013) Functions, divergence and clinical value of TAp73 isoforms in cancer. Cancer and Metastasis Reviews, 32: 511-534
• Vlachakis D, Pavlopoulou A, Kazazi D, Kossida S (2013) Unraveling microalgal molecular interactions using evolutionary and structural bioinformatics. Gene, 528: 109-119
• Vlachakis D, Tsiliki G, Pavlopoulou A, Roubelakis MG, Tsaniras SC, Kossida S (2013) Antiviral Stratagems Against HIV-1 Using RNA Interference (RNAi) Technology. Evolutionary Bioinformatics Online, 9: 203-213
• Vlachakis D, Pavlopoulou A, Tsiliki G, Komiotis D, Stathopoulos C, Balatsos NA, Kossida S (2012) An integrated in silico approach to design specific inhibitors targeting human poly(a)-specific ribonuclease. PLoS One, 7: e51113
• Attwood TK, Coletta A, Muirhead G, Pavlopoulou A, Philippou PB, Popov I, Romá-Mateo C, Theodosiou A, Mitchell AL (2012) The PRINTS database: a fine-grained protein sequence annotation and analysis resource–its status in 2012. Database (Oxford), 2012: bas019
• Pavlopoulou A, Michalopoulos I. (2011) State-of-the-art bioinformatics protein structure prediction tools (Review). International Journal of Molecular Medicine, 28: 295-310
• Pavlopoulou A, Kossida S (2010) Cytosine methyltransferases as tumor markers. Current Genomics 11: 568-577
• Pavlopoulou A, Pampalakis G, Michalopoulos I, Sotiropoulou G (2010) Evolutionary history of tissue kallikreins. PLoS One, 5: e13781
• Pavlopoulou A, Kossida S (2009) Phylogenetic analysis of the eukaryotic RNA (cytosine-5)-methyltransferases. Genomics, 93: 350-357
• Pavlopoulou A, Kossida S (2007) Plant cytosine-5 DNA methyltransferases: structure, function, and molecular evolution. Genomics, 90 :530-541*Corresponding author